Sunday, January 29, 2012

Buying A Digital Camera? This May Help...

Imagine this, it's 2012 and you do not own a digital camera.  I find that hard to believe, since digital cameras are now one of the fastest growing electronic purchases for nearly all age groups.  Allow me to give you a little of my camera using history before I broach the intended topic for this post...

I grew up as a child using a 110 camera in my hand.  Most of my families gatherings, I would be the person taking the photos to remember the event.  I grew fond of what photography could do, but didn't understand much of the technical aspects.  I picked up my first SLR camera near my sophomore year in high school.  It was a Canon AE-1 Program model, which my parents purchased to have a "good camera" laying around the house.  That model was fairly popular in the early 80's.  And believe it or not, I still have it.

I primarily took on the role of the Smithville Warriors varsity football photographer.  Working in concert with the Smithville High School photography club, led by Mr. Miller as well as working with the local newspaper, the Democrat Herald (now called the Smithville Herald).  I had many photos in the local paper, as well as our yearbook my junior and senior years.  However, once that piece of time subsided, I found myself not taking as many photos.

Fast forward a few years (and back on topic)...

In 2001, I purchased my very first digital camera.  There were a few choices out there, but not nearly as many as today.  My decision was to get a Sony DSC 707, which provided still photography as well as video.  I instantly became hooked.  I could load photos on my computer to review them, and just print the ones I wanted.  What a breakthrough in technology.

A few years later, around 2007, I purchased my first digital SLR camera.  I decided on the Canon XTi for two simple reasons - first, there were (and still are) more choices for lenses for the Canon product, and second, I had already shot with Canon products and liked the results.  Mind you, I have nothing against the other brands, such as Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, and others.  It basically came down to personal preference.

There were several things that went through my mind before I pulled the trigger each time on a digital camera purchase.  I researched the internet, I asked friends, and I even went to the stores to talk to the ones that know.  There are a lot of different things to consider when making a digital camera purchase and purchasing your first digital SLR is a huge choice.  It will set the direction of your future lens purchases, since brands do not share the same lens mounting from camera to camera.

If there were only a list...  wait, there is one!  Here is a 9-step guide on how to buy a digital camera. which provides a simple approach on how to make a decision on your camera purchase.  I hope you get something out of it.

What type of camera do you have or want - and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment